top of page

Plants that are Poisonous to Animals

Birch, branching ivy, Autumn crocus and weeping fig are all poisonous plants. Birch

Poisonous plant to animals

poisoning can cause sudden death to animals in windstorms or early frosts. Birch poisoning loses its poison after the leaves have dried. Especially dangerous are the limp, green or yellowed leaves. Read on to learn more about the noxious plants.


Weeping fig

The weeping fig tree is a very common plant in many places, but you shouldn't let your dog or cat get too close. This tree is poisonous to animals, and the sap can irritate the mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and skin of your dog or cat. The amount of toxicity depends on the amount of sap ingested by the animal, as well as the species of tree and your dog's individual allergies. For these reasons, weeping fig care should be sought immediately by a veterinarian.


Weeping ivy

While it is not fatal for humans, weeping ivy is a potentially lethal plant for animals. It contains a steroid called sapogenin and polyacetylene compounds. Sapogenin is naturally occurring in plants, but it is concentrated in the leaves. This toxin can irritate the skin and mucus membranes. The sap from the plant is also toxic, and it can cause a rash on contact.


Branching ivy

While there are many names for branching ivy, the plant contains the same toxic chemicals. It contains triterpenoid saponins, a class of steroid saponin glycosides that are toxic to animals. These compounds are present in more than 400 species of plants, although most of them are not harmful to humans. Dogs are especially vulnerable to poisoning because it can cause respiratory symptoms, including swelling in the bronchioles.


Autumn crocus

If your dog eats a leaf of the Autumn crocus and develops vomiting or diarrhea, you should take them to the veterinarian immediately. These symptoms may appear almost immediately or may take several days. If your dog's symptoms are more severe, a prescription should be written immediately for treatment. Your veterinarian can determine whether or not your pet has been exposed to this plant by taking a blood sample and conducting a complete blood count and chemistry profile. The veterinarian can also examine your pet's stool to determine if it contains any plant remains.


Daylily

While the Daylily is not harmful to dogs, it can be extremely toxic to cats. This plant is known to cause acute kidney failure and death in cats, but there are other symptoms that you should watch for. For example, if your cat suddenly stops eating and shows signs of nausea, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. You can also call the ASPCA for advice. Symptoms of daylily poisoning in cats can include an upset stomach.


Calla lily

If you have a cat, you may have been wondering if calla lilies are poisonous to cats. Well, they are mildly toxic, but not deadly. Cats may get upset stomachs or mouth pain, but in rare cases, calla lilies can kill. Keep these plants out of the cat's reach. Here are some signs your cat may have ingested them.


How To Kill Poisonous Plants

If you notice poisonous plants growing in your lawn, you can always hire a pest control company. Many of these plants will be affected by herbicides and can be controlled by a lawn spray service.

49 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

5 Plants That Heal Ailments

The natural world is a rich source of potential new medicines. The abundance of plants provides a vast database of potential new medicines. In addition to being abundant, plants provide chemical templ

Comments


bottom of page